Life with Cancer Volunteer Opportunities
Life with Cancer welcomes and appreciates volunteers who wish to help us support the needs of individuals and families living with cancer. For more information about any of the following volunteer opportunities, please contact Catherine Intartaglia, MSW, Volunteer Program Manager, at email@example.com or 703-698-2534.
Front Desk, 10am-2pm Mondays and Tuesdays
- Greet and direct program participants to class rooms
- Answer telephone and complete administrative work, as necessary
- Wood worker needed to craft Barbie Doll-sized IV pole and radiation machine (we have a sketch what these would look like).
Survivors Offering Support (SOS)
Whether you’re facing breast cancer and could benefit from the help of a mentor or you are a breast cancer survivor and can offer help to another, SOS is for you. Newly diagnosed? SOS lets you share the breast cancer journey with someone who has experienced your situation first hand. A diagnosis of breast cancer can be overwhelming, but we are here to help. Mentors, all breast cancer survivors themselves, are specially trained to provide knowledge, support, encouragement and a shoulder to lean on. With SOS, you are never alone. Download / print the mentor request form (pdf). Want to be a mentor? SOS mentors provide emotional and informational support to newly diagnosed breast cancer patients through peer mentoring.
Pamela Crum, Coordinator
Life with Cancer
8411 Pennell Street
Fairfax, VA 22031
- Work with Life with Cancer staff to prepare for, and clean up after various Life with Cancer classes. Duties include making confirmation phone calls/emails, maintaining class roster, creating name tags, greeting participants, setting up and tearing down meeting room, making copies, and other activities as requested. This position may be a weekly or monthly; time varies depending on the class.
- Provide individual Reiki treatments at the Life with Cancer Family Center in Fairfax, VA
- Work one-on-one with hospitalized patients to trim or style hair or to provide simple manicures (no nail clipping or cuticle trimming). Ability to be available on short notice is necessary.